be awesome

You have shown your people hard things.  Psalm 60:3a

On Saturday I went to a celebration service at our church for a 20-year-old boy who died the day before Thanksgiving of a sudden illness.  I didn't know him, and I'm not going to try to tell his story here - except for the fact that he was exceptional and loved Jesus with all of his heart.  That much was evident from all the stories told about him this weekend.

The picture of him at the service was of a smiling blonde young man at the beach, hair ruffled by the wind.  Not too hard to imagine my own sons at that age.  Too easy in fact.  I grieved this loss with my church family, a young bright light that seemed to be extinguished too soon.  Yet we were able to sing "Mighty to Save" and stand firm on the Rock that is high above everything else.  How I pray for strength for his family and friends.

I continue to pray for them, and I continue to pray for my own sons, that the lives they live now would demonstrate Christ.  Not in their future, but now. I pray they live long lives.  But most of all I pray they would continue to have a growing relationship with Jesus, and everything else would overflow from that.

Be content with who you are, and don't put on airs.  God's strong hand is on you; He'll promote you at the right time.  Live carefree before God; He is most careful with you.  1 Peter 5:6-7 (The Message)