A summer trilogy: Thor, Rick Perry and the psalms.

I've enjoyed seeing the superhero movies this summer with my boys.  Thor had to be my favorite - maybe it's just my penchant for Nordic heroes (a.k.a.  Blonde FunkNation); yes, that's probably it.  Captain America did strike a patriotic note, but somehow it felt hollow.  A little like Rick Perry leading a prayer meeting.  But I digress...

I have wanted God to show up like a superhero in my life this summer and save me from myself.  Or at least show me what's next.  What great plan He has for me.  Something that I'll be able to look back on the last two years and see how it all fit together.  And I do believe there is a great plan.  I just can't see it.

Happily, I do feel I am out of the pit of hell.  One thing He has given me so far from all of this is a desire to help and pray for those who struggle with depression and anxiety.  And as a bonus, I have also tried almost every anti-depressant known to man up until now (slight exaggeration) so I'm a pretty good reference for that as well.

The challenge for plans to unfold is in the waiting.  People have helpfully tried to interject their thoughts of what it should look like (this great plan).  But He will show me.  I want to enjoy the journey of now.  One thing He is revealing to me is to not be legalistic with myself.  I'm reading through the Bible and hating it.  A wise person asked me if I had asked God if I should do that, before I had begun.  No I hadn't.   So I'm going back to Psalms, where God has had me for almost 2 years.  That David is a likable guy on so many levels, his depression not withstanding.

In all this legalism I'm feeling towards myself  - (it goes on to include "am I walking every day for 30 minutes?  am I eating all the fruits and vegetables I should be?" And the list grows longer when I add in rating myself as a wife and mother.  Fail!) - I wonder just how prevalent legalism is in our church culture, whether we recognize it or not.  For someone like me who has grown up in the church and feels it so strongly, I'd have to say it's pretty well there.

The same wise person reminded me there is very little we "have" to do.  Eating, and drinking water are up there.  But as Paul says, everything is permissable but not everything is beneficial.  (1 Corinthians 6:12).  So I think some of us may need to cut ourselves a little slack.  You know who you are.  He won't leave you or forsake you over it.

I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.
Psalm 37:25 (NIV)