A Christmas Story, pt. 3

My siblings and I agreed not to give each other gifts this Christmas, instead we are just buying for the nephews and nieces.  As it turns out, I was the only one not to go against this stipulation.  My brother in the North sent us Salt Lick gift certificates, and my sister-in-law made us her family favorite, orange rolls, accompanied by a Starbucks gift card.  We were touched, but not did not try to reciprocate just because they acted so kindly.  Although the impulse is strong.

I was in the Kyle Target yesterday with my boys, and as I left the cashier's station, the woman behind the counter, rubbed her face and said, "I'm so tired."  I don't think she thought I noticed.  I had the thought to go buy her a coffee fifty yards away at the Starbucks in the store.  But I didn't.  I thought about her as I drove home; I prayed for her.  Even though things are financially tight for us right now, I am blessed not to have to work.  Not even at a wonderful store like Target.

This morning Syd wanted to go back to Target to get Ben a gift.  This time I took my Starbucks gift card with me.  I prayed for the right cashier to give it to, someone who looked perhaps tired and in need of some caffeine.  I didn't see anyone and asked Syd to pick a check-out number.  We went to number five and there was an older cashier, with all her hair pulled back and wearing no make-up.  She was also wearing a big silver cross.  She cheerfully wished the customers in front of us a Merry Christmas.  I don't know if Target has a store policy about only saying "Happy Holidays," but if it does she wasn't heeding it.

As Syd checked out she wished us a Merry Christmas.  "This is for you," I said, handing her the gift card.  "Have a coffee on us."  She smiled wide and said, "Oh, thank you!" and winked at me. Not expecting the wink, but I was so glad to have done something little for someone I didn't know this Christmas.

I don't tell you this so you can think I'm so generous, because I'm really not.  But I do want to always follow the Holy Spirit's leading, and thankful He gives us more than one chance to follow through.