on the warpath

This morning at the Austin Stone I was in the restroom surrounded by old ladies. I mean, like ladies in their sixties and seventies. This may sound like not a big deal, but seriously, if you knew the history of the Austin Stone, you would have been thrilled like me to be in a restroom full of old ladies.

I had to contain myself from saying "Do you know how FREAKIN' great it is to have you here? Do you have any idea?" But I'm sure that would not have been too appropriate. "Did you know when I started going to this church there was NO ONE over the age of 35?? And only one person in the youth group? Now look - old people everywhere, babies everywhere, a youth group with over 50 kids! How amazing is that??"

Maybe they would have rejoiced with me. I am so thankful for my church which will soon be 5 years old and ready for kindergarten graduation, so thankful for what God is doing at the Austin Stone. The LORD just rocks it every Sunday. Today as little Ronnie Smith, leader of our prayer ministry and NOT my husband, preached God's word, it was so evident God has given him this gift to share.

As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. 1 Peter 4:10

I have learned so much about ministry since being at the Austin Stone. As stubborn as I am, much of it has had to come through God hitting me over the head, like an anvil to a piece of metal. I have learned that I will fail, that I'm not important, that God can exist without me and my ministry. Shocking I know.

But as small as I may feel right now, I do know this. When I think the devil is trying to steal my joy in ministry - or my ministry period, I will fight tooth and nail covered in the blood of Jesus Christ for it. HE is my defender. Psalm 20. It's one thing if God calls us out of ministry or to a different direction, but it's quite another if the enemy is the one responsible for us quitting. I will fight that every time with everything in me.

We all have gifts to share with one another in the body. What's your gift? Do you give it freely? Do you expect others to reciprocate with the same gift? Because that is just messed up if you are. Believe me, the voice of experience in this. I know I have the gift of encouragement when I'm operating in the Spirit of God, and many times I expect to receive that back. I have learned that is not what God wants for the body. We must bless one another, minister to one another with our gifts, knowing that the blessing, if any, will come from God.

God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:5a-7


I'm praying for each of you, for God to use your gifts mightily, for you to have much joy in ministering with them and that you will be viligant and protect what God has entrusted you to do for His Kingdom to come on earth. Give Him thanks in every situation, rejoice always and pray without ceasing. Yay old ladies! Just had to get that in there one more time.