hope

 
 
I've been reading Louie Giglio's new book, "The Comeback," and in the midst of my reading it Justin Bieber's new album released.
 
I started praying for Justin Bieber after I saw the documentary about his rise to fame years ago.  I think he's very talented and I love to pray for his generation. I love some of his music. I think many of us who even cared to listen to his music wondered what kind of path his life would take as he became more and more idolized.
 
I started praying more as I watched all the media reports of his really stupid behavior in the past years and as I listened to his last album Believe.  Sort of like a mother who prays for her child.  Maybe not that consistently, but I did pray.
 
Here's the thing I believe.  God cares about Justin Bieber.  Does Justin care about God?  I really am starting to believe that too.
 
I don't mention that I pray for him here so you can tell me "well done".  I do believe our prayers can influence the heart of God.  I do believe God surrounded Justin with people who love Jesus.  And Justin had to make the choice to seek their counsel and maybe leave some other people behind.  God knows.
 
In Louie Giglio's book, one of several things he writes really struck me. It's a simple prayer: "Jesus, please remember me. Isn't that really what all of us are hoping for today? A person who prays, Jesus, please remember me, is a person who needs a comeback.  The prayer is that somehow God hasn't forgotten us in this crazy world." - from "The Comeback". 
 
Hope deferred makes the heartsick. Proverbs 13:12  ...but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.  We all need to hold onto hope, and my hope is in what Jesus can and will do.
 
When I've messed up royally and I repent, I don't want to be forgotten.  And when the enemy steals and destroys something God gave me, I want vindication.  I want restoration.  I want to be remembered by Jesus.
 
If you're a Christian and reading this, you may find it easier to have grace for someone like Justin Bieber than for someone who's in your church that has fallen.  We have little grace for people in ministry, who are faithful Christians and do something just ludicrous.  Is that biblical?  Think about it.  Forgiveness is forgiveness.
 
I want everything back the enemy stole from me.  And more.  I do know there are consequences for our sins.  But I don't think God punishes us for the ways the enemy jumped in to make things worse. He does go after us. 
 
I believe in a sovereign God.  A God who may just have made his mind up to use Justin Bieber and who let him fall hard so that he could be used by him.  And I believe there are some of us who have a heart for prayer, a heart for this generation, who want to pray along with God's will for Justin Bieber.
 
May we all live with hope, with the knowledge of all Jesus is and continues to be for us.