dear diary: detox day 7

If you are thinking you missed my entries for detox days 1 through 6, you need to know there aren't any. Steve and I are doing a 10 day "detox" in an effort to get off the foods we, meaning me, are addicted to.  It's his way of saying, happy anniversary.  Someone who will give up sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine and alcohol for 10 days, with yours truly, is a true heart. 

And in the awesome dark of night when his happy alarm goes off at 5, he is the first up to take the prescribed 30 minute walk.  Under a canopy of trees, he shines the flashlight into the wide eyes of a cat lurking under the belly of a car, cheerfully telling me "there's a cat."  I can't be bothered to reply.  I'm thinking about the giant salad I still need to pack, the handful of nuts I will carefully select, the shower I need to take, and the make-up and wardrobe change that will transform me into the wonderful librarian assistant that I am. I'd like to be changing into an outfit to do the weather on "Good Morning America," but there you have it.

I am losing about a pound of day.  I might also be losing my mind.  I couldn't remember my blog address to write this. And no, I don't save it in my favorites bar.  Who does that? To spell the word "alcohol" was a struggle.  On a couple of levels.  But dinner is coming.

Here's a sample of dialogue I had with myself today while folding laundry.  Day 7.  I'm winning, by the way, the one who is stronger and brighter.

Weak me: "Would I kill for a voodoo donut right now?  I mean, could I actually murder someone for it?"

Strong me: "Don't think about donuts.  Think about vegetables."  Also:

"I wonder if the half shot of espresso I just had will make me gain weight.  Let's call this an experiment."

Weak me: "I bet if I ate a donut right now I could gain 5 pounds."

Strong me:  "It's time to do some take 5 deep relaxing breathing.  Does it count if I'm folding laundry?  Or do I have to sit on the bed."

Weak me:  "I think that half shot of espresso is making me want a donut."

Strong me:  "You know what sounds like fun?  Ironing clothes tonight and feeling the warmth of the steam while I watch TV."

Weak me: "I can't believe my doctor hasn't eaten a donut in 10 years."

I do love the feeling of not being too full, too tired, and too depressed when I look in the mirror and see a body I do not like.   

I like sleeping when I'm tired, yelling when I'm angry, and dreaming some new dreams. 

And, to quote Ben as a young boy: "I'm going to be an adventurer.  Some day I'm doing to discover the 2 million dollar kiss."

Let's do that.