i cannot contain this prayer

Today our small group from church finishes it's last session from a study we are using on prayer, simply titled the prayer course.  You can see it here. The Prayer Course .  The last session is on spiritual warfare.   I went through this prayer course on my own, then used it as a model to teach prayer to the women in our church, then with my family.  I asked my small group leaders to use it when they were looking for something for us to study.  You could say I like it a little.

We have been at the Fellowship at Plum Creek, in our neighborhood, for almost two years.  I've done very little prayer ministry there.  As far as acting out and leading and praying with a group.  I've done a little of that.  But mostly what I've done is this.  I've prayed.  And my prayer has been, "God I don't know what it looks like, but we need more of you.  Will you bring more prayer."  I have prayed that for two years, mostly by myself.

Today our church started a four week series on prayer.  Our pastor Jonathan returned from sabbatical and this is one of the sermon series God put on his heart.  I'm not writing all this so you can think I'm a super spiritual Christian (shouldn't we all be? by the way?)  Or that God does what I ask.  Or that what's happening is all me.  I know I'm not alone in praying this prayer.  Okay, I don't know that for sure, but it would be stupid to think no one else is praying for something that hardly exists in most of our churches.

As Jonathan began to speak on prayer, and said things my heart needed to hear, I began to cry.  I cried through the whole message.  I got it together at the end, and then he played this video. All We Need . As soon as I heard Fancy Chan's voice I started to cry again.  Because it's not really Chan that makes me cry, it's Jesus.  It's his spirit.  It's that moment when you realize what you've been praying for is happening.  Do you know that feeling?  I hope you do.  Because it feeds our soul.  It spurs us on. 

What are you passionate about?  Are you on your knees about it?  Or do you doubt that prayer works?  That God hears you?  That he cares?  Or is your life too busy?  Is your flesh getting in the way?  I think one day when we are in the heavenly city we will see who our prayers affected.  I really believe that.  I want to look and see a massive group of people.  I don't want to see just one person. If that's all there is, fine.  But I want so much more.


I will bless the LORD who has given me counsel. 
My heart also instructs me in the night seasons.
I have set the LORD always before me;
Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
Psalm 16: 7,8 (NKJV)